Ancient Greek Clothing

Clothing in ancient greek was expensive. It was made from wool or linen. Lightweight material was used to produce the clothing and was dyed by natural plants. During the 5th century, wool was imported from India. These were produced and sold at an expensive price that the poor families made their own clothing while the rich who could afford it, brought it. Female slaves were to make this clothing or any female member in that family. All clothing were decorated to tell the different city states in where they lived.Β Tunics called chitons were formed by draping a piece of rectangle-shaped cloth around the body with belts, hooks, buttons, or brooches.

Up until the sixth century the women wore a rectangle of woven wool. It was about six feet wide and about 18 inches longer that the height of the person wearing the garment. The fabric was wrapped around the wearer with the extra material folded over the top. It was pinned on both shoulders with the extra material falling free looking like a cape. The pins used for fastening the garment were open with a decorated head. During this time period the men wore similar chitons that came to the ankles. During the fifth century the men began wearing shorter chitons with one shoulder pinned. Until the fifth century garments were white. Beginning with the sixth century the clothes were decorated with a wide range of colors. Later the tunic was replaced by thin linen or occasionally silk. At this time the fabric was much wider and could measure up to 10 feet wide. The length was measured from the wearer’s shoulder to the ankle with no extra. The tunic was fastened on both sides of the neck with two long pins or metal brooches called fibulae. The fabric was pulled in at the waist with a belt. At this time the chiton sleeves were popular with the ladies. These were made by fastening the ends of the two pieces fabric many times from the shoulder to the wrist. The fabric pulled away from each clasp making oval shaped openings all along the arm. The men’s tunics were wore at knee-length. The women wore their tunics to the ankles. Both men and women wore cloaks called himation. These were also made from a rectangular piece of fabric. The men’s were usually knee-length while the women’s were long. Greeks wore shoes when they went outside. Everyone had strapped sandals. Boots were made of leather. The women wore ankle length boots while the men wore heavy boots with laces. The first real hat was invented by the Greeks. It was worn when traveling. The hat had a chin strap to hold it on.

http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0210200/ancient_greece/daily_life.htm

Ancient Greek Clothing

Ancient Greek Clothing

35 thoughts on “Ancient Greek Clothing

1. Thank you Mr Gleek. It was a pleasure helping you with your researchs πŸ™‚
    Cheers, Soloz

2. this is a great page JOHNNY TANG I LOVE THIS PAGE IT SAVE DMY LIFE FOR MY EXAMSSSS

3. im doing a project it needs the particular clothing for each city state. (major)

4. Megan said
    nice
    Savannah said
    cool
    they both said
    awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. thank you this help me and Megan with are Greek project we really appreciated it

6. for all this information about Ancient greece clothing i really needed it for my homework

7. The picture is partly wrong, Greeks had chitons and chlamys, but it was the romans who wore stolas and pallas. I used this picture for my project but had to take it up when I realised it was wrong. However the article was awesome, just a shame the picture didn’t link to it.

8. I’m doing a project on Greece ay school and it helped me a lot thx

9. this is brilliant it helped me a lot with my work , thanks πŸ™‚

10. thank you very much for this article! it helped out a lot with my greece project at school!

11. I’m sorry, this was a blog I did a few years ago for a school project and the image was taken of Google when I searched it up.